Today I was at Aldi’s and there was a couple that was looking for a particular product so the cashier very thoughtfully ran back to where she thought the item might be and everyone who was in line was required to wait. For me it was no big deal because I had quite an order and it was going to take me a while anyhow…but the gentleman in front of me only had a couple of healthy snack foods. I felt so bad that he had to wait that I actually asked him ” Is that all you have?” Of course it was! It wasn’t as if he was hiding some of his items elsewhere…sheesh!
So I was feeling a little silly for asking the man if that was all he had and he very kindly responded by saying that he had an appointment and he was a little early so he stopped in to get a few things. I felt a little embarrassed though because he was buying strictly healthy foods and I was buying a pumpkin pie and whipped cream, plus cookies, plus barbecue chicken wings a roast and french fries. I apologized for my food. I said it was a little humiliating that my purchases were so unhealthy compared to his. He said it was okay, at least I wasn’t buying alcohol. I grinned and said ” that is where I’m headed next.”
Well, instead of going to buy one of my favorite alcoholic drinks for the holidays I found a site that has a recipe for making my own at home so here is a Homemade Baileys Irish Cream Recipe from http://www.cupcakeproject.com:
- 1 C light cream (I used heavy whipping cream, which made it even richer)
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 2/3 C Irish whiskey (I used Jameson’s)
- 1 t instant coffee
- 2 T Hershey’s chocolate syrup (I used Torani)
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 t almond extract (I skipped this entirely)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and set on high speed for 30 seconds.
- Bottle in a tightly sealed container and refrigerate. Shake before using.
- Will keep for up to 2 months.