Whenever you hear that something is “completely safe” you have got to wonder! I justn happened across this story about contaminated gel sickening patients who received ultrasounds.
You read it!
Federal law enforcement officials have seized several lots of ultrasound gel from a New Jerseycompany after the product tested positive for bacterial contamination.
The Food and Drug Administration says the gel tested positive for two strains of dangerous bacteria. The agency reports at least 16 patients at one hospital were infected with bacteria from the product. The gel is used to enhance ultrasound medical images.
U.S. marshals seized all lots of Other-Sonic generic ultrasound gel made between June 2011 and December 2011 by Newark, N.J.-based Pharmaceutical Innovations.
The FDA urges health care professionals not to use containers labeled with lot numbers: 060111, 090111 and 120111. Doctors should identify and assess the health of patients who may have been treated with contaminated gel.