I am not an educator, but I am interested in what children are learning, here and around the world.
The other day I was talking about something called Common Core standards that are taking shape in this country. Today I came across a new educational policy which I believe has been instituted by the Islamic State, or the folks we’ve been talking about as ISIS, or ISIL.
Caliphate on the program of the Prophets
General Statement 01
Directorate of Programs in the Islamic State
General Statement to all Education and Teaching Institutions
1. The following subjects are to be definitively abolished from teaching programs: artistic musical education [music], nationalist education, social studies, history, artistic composition education [drawing], sport, philosophical, social and psychology studies, Islam-Christian religious education), to be replaced by subjects added in compensation by the directorate of programs in the Islamic State.
2. Complete abolition of the name ‘Syrian Arab Republic’ wherever it is found and it be replaced by the Islamic State.
3. Complete abolition of the Education Ministry and its replacement with the Ministry of Education and Teaching.
4. Removal of all photos that do not concord with Islamic Shari’a.
5. Removal of all Syrian Arab song wherever it is found.
6. No teaching of nationalist doctrine and instead: commitment to Islam and its people, and no affiliation with idolatry and its people. Indeed the land of the Muslim is the land in which the law of God governs.
7. The teacher is to patch up gaps in knowledge of the grammar of Arabic dependent on omission by examples that do not contradict the Islamic Shari’a and politics of the Islamic State.
8. The word ‘homeland’ (watan), or ‘his homeland’, or ‘my homeland’ or ‘Syria’ is to be replaced wherever it is found with ‘The Islamic State’ or ‘his Islamic State’ or ‘the land of the Muslims’ or ‘The Islamic State’ or ‘the province of ash-Sham’.
9. Abolition of any example in maths that points to interest, interest on money, democracy, or election.
10. Abolition from the sciences of anything connected with the Darwin theory, natural selection and not attributing all creation to God- Almighty and Exalted is He.
11. The teacher is to make the students aware that all the laws of physics and chemistry are from God’s laws in creation.
12. This general statement is considered compulsory and all who disagree must be held accountable.
Well, this is pretty straight forward isn’t it? Syria is to be erased and replaced by the Islamic State, and anyone who disagrees with these new compulsory ideals is to be held accountable.
Let’s imagine that someday the Islamic State takes hold, how will they operate alongside people who have different cultures? How will they understand “maths that point to interest” How will they get by not learning anything about elections?
It makes me wonder!